Thursday, February 28, 2008

When Mom is Away the Girls Will Play

Hello, my name is Mallena Ricks and I'm a Sleepaholic. It's been a year since I've gotten up early without having somewhere I had to be.

I hope none of you turn me into Child Protective Services, but I do have a problem. I enjoy sleeping in. Luckily I have two amazing children that basically take care of themselves until I roll out of bed, or one of them decides I've slept enough of the day away.

Well, the other morning Miriam came into the bedroom saying she had made herself breakfast. Earlier in the week Doug had taught her how to put frozen waffles in the toaster, and then prepare them to eat. It was great for me until we ran out of frozen waffles.

With this knowledge I hurried to the kitchen thinking of what mess there could be. Thankfully there wasn't a mess, but her breakfast creation was rather interesting. See if you can name everything she put in her bowl.
Doesn't that look tasty? Can you place the food items? Let's see, we've got Cheerios, marshmallows, two packages of fruit snacks of the princess variety, and beef jerky. Yum! What more could you ask for in one meal?

As soon as she took a bite she about gagged. Instead of letter her waste it, I made her separate everything into piles and then eat them separately. By the end of the day the piles were all gone.

Oh, you may be wondering about the outfit she has on. Why would any mother in her right mind let her child wear that kind of shirt during the winter? Well, a mother that sleeps in and lets her child dress herself---and her little sister.
Yikes! Not only do they look cold, but the fabrics aren't even close to looking good together. Besides, all of those clothes had been put aside because they were either too big or too small. I guess that's what happens when the kid can't reach the hanging clothes. She's got to use what she can reach. Brrr....

5 comments:

emily a. said...

What a smart little thing.

Mary Ann and Larry said...

I laughed outloud when I saw their fashionable outfits. Shay's hair looks longer here.

Rebecca Hansen said...

miriam looks so pretty in this picture! and Shay is stinkin cute, as always. miriam's breakfast story made me laugh! i love the outfits, too.

dan and linds said...

What a balanced diet she has in that bowl! That is amazing that she will dress herself and Shay, what a good big sister!

Elaine said...

kids are always good for a laugh and your two are the best!