Sunday, June 22, 2008

PRIMARY Kids Say the Darndest Things

Today I had the joyous opportunity to teach Sharing Time. We haven't had a chorister for awhile so I tried to have enough things to fill the 40 minutes for each group. I'm not sure if it was my lesson or the kids, or a combination of both, but Junior Primary looked lost the entire time, and Senior Primary was.................well, you'll see.

The topic today was "I will be reverent, dress modestly, and speak kindly to be worthy to enter the temple." At one point during the lesson I told the kids that in the scriptures our bodies are sometimes referred to as temples. When I asked the Senior Primary kids how they thought our bodies were like temples I got the following answer from a young man in our Valiant 11 class:

"Well, there are organs in the temple so they can play music, and there are organs in our bodies."

I have to say, I've never thought of that. It is very true, but not quite the answer I was looking for.

Another comment came when I asked the kids (still Senior) how we can keep our bodies clean and modest. One girl, same class, said that she can keep her body clean by

"taking a q-tip and cleaning the ear wax out of her ears."

Well, there you have it folks--out of the mouths of babes. I tell you, it is so hard to keep a straight face and respond to those comments, especially when the kids are very serious and are pleased that they came up with a great answer.

11 comments:

dan and linds said...

Oh my goodness, I am laughing out loud! Too bad I couldn't be there today! Next time I go in to see the Bishop I'll have to try telling him I know I'm worthy because I use q-tips to clean my ears every day. I love the things those kids come up with!

emily a. said...

Never a dull moment in our ward! Glad you documented this- you really did prepare a great lesson. Sometimes things just don't come together with those kids.

Rebecca Hansen said...

your kids are a bit more creative than mine... today in our sunbeam class every answer was "honk-a-doodle-moo" ...they came up with that after i asked them to stop saying "cock-a-doodle-doo"

Elaine said...

I'm chuckling! Thanks for sharing. You should keep a regular entry just for the 'ward stuff.' :-)

Mary Ann and Larry said...

How do you argue with logic like that?

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

I'll never think of q-tips the same way again. :) Hilarious!

Natalie Buchkovich said...

That is so funny! There really is not dull moment with kids! They keep you on your toes! Good lesson by the way.

Anonymous said...

That is funny. I bet your glad that is over. I will have to email ya what happened in our primary if I get the energy. It is a long AMAZING story!

Rachel Holloway said...

Um--there are more than 7 comments and I am sure I won't say anything that hasn't already been said (that was a direct quote from you by the way), BUT, that was SO funny. Thanks for sharing. Gotta love those kiddos and their funny imaginations!

Bonnie said...

Hmmm.... I forgot how dull my new ward is. That is hillarious. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny... so funny!
What do these kids learn at school, I wonder?!