We left around 7:45 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16. This time we had our GPS so we arrived safely at the park where my nieces were having a combined birthday party. We arrived early enough that I was able to do hair and some last minute touch-ups on the girls. Doug then played with the girls on the toys while I helped my sister-in-law set up for the party. My niece that is a year younger than Miriam kept insisting that she wanted to sit and play with Miriam. It was nice to see that they enjoy being together. Part of it could be because they don't see each other often enough to get sick of each other. It reminds me of my cousins and how we used to write letters to each other. I especially loved writing and receiving letters from my cousin Kendra.
This is the life, especially after being in the car for three hours!
Shaylynn's new way of throwing a fit: "Stop looking at me, fine, I'll turn around and not look at you!"
Shaylynn was happy because there was a stray dog wondering around the park. Thankfully my children have not inherited my fear of dogs. Yes, I am afraid of dogs. Always have been, always will be.
After the party was over we stuck around and helped clean up and then visited for a little bit. It was too early to check into our hotel so we were trying to kill time by deciding what to do next. Finally we decided to go to the hotel and see if they'd let us check in early. Thankfully they did, so our next step was to get unpacked and relax for a minute.
After sitting down for a few minutes and getting our shoes changed we decided to go to Arlington Cemetery and the Washington, D.C. temple. The plan was to walk around the Cemetery first because we could rest our legs on the drive to the temple.
All of our trips until now have been for Doug and me. My favorite part of this trip was the fact that Miriam could understand some of the meaning behind what we were seeing. She was fascinated and saddened by the tombstones at Arlington Cemetery, and tried to stand very still during the Changing of the Guard. I was so proud of her for trying to understand our country's history. It was enjoyable trying to answer her questions about war, death, and a plethora of other things.
The rows and rows of grave markers!
The Eternal Flame at the John F. Kennedy Gravesite
Each time I've been to Arlington Cemetery I have a hard time keeping my emotions in check. Not only do my legs burn from all the walking (part of the reason for the tears), but I am just so grateful to those who have served and are currently serving our country. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier always brings a flood of tears.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
After visiting Arlington Cemetery we headed to Maryland to see the Washington, D.C. temple. We got stuck in a little bit of traffic, but didn't mind too much since our legs were still burning from the aforementioned walking.
We walked through the Visitor's Center, debated on watching the Joseph Smith movie, but decided against it because of the time. One of the sister missionaries is from Rexburg and knows two of my brothers. We found all this out while she was taking our picture in front of the Christus statue. I felt sorry for her, she kept trying to get one with Shaylynn smiling, but that would have taken a miracle.
Washington, D.C. Temple
In front of the Christus Statue
After driving back to our hotel we spent about on hour trying to find somewhere to eat. Our GPS kept saying there was a Subway near us, but we never could find it. Finally we settled on Pizza Hut and bought cups and plates at a nearby 7-Eleven. Had we gone just a little farther down one road, we would have found a McDonalds. Sheesh!
After eating it was time for baths and bed. We had a big day planned for the next day.

7 comments:
Mallena--
Thank you for being brave enough to say "hi" on my blog, and for leaving such a sweet comment! You are so kind! It's nice to hear from the people who read our blog. =) So, how do you know Rachel? She's a great gal, huh? That's exciting that you guys are moving back to Rexburg soon. It really is a great little town. Best wishes to your family, Jenny.
I love the musical tribute on your blog. Very appropriate for the day and for the pictures posted. I wish we could have seen Arlington Cemetery when we were there!
Seriously, Shay has the CUTEST pout. I just don't konw if I could get upset seeing that tantrum. :) jk!
what a fun trip! i would love to do something like that someday. i love history, too, i'd love to see the cemetery. i'd probably cry just like you do ; )
Cute pictures, by the way! I wish I were as skinny as you!
Your little ones are SO cute! I loved the "All Gussied Up" photos. It really showed their sparkling personalities. And I am glad you are getting to see the touristy stuff while it is so close. Love DC! And I love the feeling of reverence at Arlington. Such a great place.
After seeing those pictures I am getting antsy. I am so excited that in just a few weeks I will be able to see all that. You'll have to give us some good advice on what was worth while and what to avoid.
I LOVE SHAY"S POUT! Jaz just screams NO and runs away.
Hi Mallena!
I loved writing letters to you too! And every summer the thing I looked forward to the most was making the loooooonnngg drive from Glenns Ferry to Rexburg, and then getting to see you and Tiffany!
Sorry I've been MIA for so long. Guess what??!! Mark and I are going to be parents in March!!! I have had such a grand case of all-day-morning-sickness that blogging and such have kind of gone out the window! I have continued reading your blog, though! Thanks for keeping me entertained through the nausea. :)!!! One of these days I'll get back online...there's so much to write about!
Post a Comment