I'm not much of an animal person but Doug and my children love them. I felt bad being a party-pooper, but just couldn't make it too the elephants, pandas, and other more exciting animals. We did see the Kid's Farm (cows, donkeys, and goats), the Great Cats (a lion and tiger), the Reptile Discovery Center (snakes, turtles, alligators, etc.), and the Orangutan Crossing (ropes draped above the walk-way where two orangutans could cross to get from their play yard to their home).
Reptile Discovery Center
Orangutan Crossing
Cooling Off In the Mist
Miriam really wanted to see the pandas, but they were clear on the other side of the zoo. Someday I'd like to take her back and see the elephants, pandas, gorillas, and other fascinating animals we didn't have time or the energy to see. If anyone is considering the National Zoo as something they want to see, I recommend planning on being there the majority of the day. We only had about two hours there and it just wasn't enough to see everything.
Since we were on vacation I bought each of the girls a stuffed animal. Miriam chose a panda and I picked out an orangutan for Shaylynn. She loved it when they were crossing their ropes, and tried to speak orangutan to them. Even now she likes to walk around with her stuffed orangutan and say, "ooo, ooo, eee, eee".
Our last stop was the Pizza Playground. The kids had a blast jumping on the big rubbery pizza toppings. Shaylynn was exhausted at this point and broke down in sobs when a large mushroom fell on her. Miriam, being the good sister she is, pulled it off her. Doug and I, being the bad parents we are, sat and laughed while taking pictures. Don't worry, eventually we went over and picked her up.
After the Zoo we went back to the apartment to pick up our car. We loaded up a sleeping Shaylynn and a tired Miriam. After a debate of whether we should stop and eat or just get on the road, we left for home. It was a very long three hour drive home, but we arrived without too much wear and tear around 5 p.m.
It was a great trip, but it was depressing to load my empty laundry baskets with our dirty clothes. Oh well, it was well worth it. Thanks to the Andersons for showing us such a good time! We miss you and wish we could see you more often. Hugs and Kisses!

4 comments:
Poor little Shay...being attacked by an overgrown mushroom. Good thing she had a nice sister to help her :)
It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
You know you're in America when the playground is a giant pizza! :) Looks cute though! And don't tell anyone, buT i WOULD have laughed too!
What a great trip! The Holocaust Museum was the fav thing we saw on our trip there. It's amazingly done and very tasteful and impactful.
Sadly enough, the zoo is the thing I am most excited to see there. It has been 24 years since I have seen an elephant or giraffe! That sounds like my kinda zoo!
Post a Comment