Miriam is enjoying school. It's usually a fight in the morning because she's always cranky saying she doesn't want to go to school. As soon as she wakes up a little more, she ready to go. It's amazing to see the transformation from first waking up, to when she's bouncing around waiting for the school bus.
Speaking of riding the school bus----I forgot to write about her first experience on the bus. Miriam was so excited to ride the school bus. She was in tears the second day of school because she didn't want me taking her anymore, she wanted to ride the bus. I called and got her set up to ride the bus the following day.
Her bus driver was really cranky that first day. She frowned at me when I told her "Good morning". I was ready to yank Miriam off the steps and go running towards the car. I decided not to make a scene and let her go with the mean bus driver lady.
When it came time to meet the bus after school I made sure I was parked at the end of the street in plenty of time to meet her. I waited, and waited, and waited. I didn't have a cell phone and I didn't dare go home to check to see if I had a call. I just sat there praying that nothing bad had happened. Finally 35 minutes AFTER she was supposed to be home a bus pulled over on the other side of the street. I could see a little face peering out the window so I thought I might as well get out of the car and see if it was her bus. The bus driver was looking around like he was confused and trying to find something. When I got to the street I noticed it was Miriam right as she saw me and started pointing at me. I crossed the street to get her. This bus driver was a man. He was a very large man with grizzly hair and a thick beard. Not someone you'd want to see in a dark alley. Miriam was the only child on the bus. He said that he had been looking for our street but hadn't been able to find it. Here's the deal: in order to get to our home, you have to go down a street with townhomes on each side, but then you take a little curve in the road and then there is group of townhomes where we live. Our street name is different from the road you take to get to it. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I just don't want to give out our address on the internet.
The bus driver was very kind and very apologetic. He said that he was afraid he'd frightened Miriam because he didn't know where he was going, and she didn't know where she lived either. Remember we'd only been moved into our home for about a week. Poor thing! She was so brave until she was off the bus and we were crossing the street. She then reached to be picked up and carried. We both started crying then. We both had been so frightened.
Miriam thought her bus driver had left her and that her teacher had put her on a different bus to get her home. I called her teacher and she told me that she put Miriam on the bus that was on her list. After calling several loved ones venting, I was calm enough to call the bus department. I didn't want to call when I was angry because I knew that wouldn't get me anywhere.
The dispatcher informed me that the bus driver in the morning and in the afternoon were different. WOULDN'T THAT HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW BEFORE SHE STARTED RIDING THE BUS? I was so angry, but I kept my cool. I thanked her for that information and asked when I could expect the bus to arrive with Miriam after school was over. She was LESS than helpful! I finally know the bus schedule so I know where to be at what time, but that first day was a doozy.
The main thing I don't understand is why no one ever tried to contact me. The bus driver didn't even call dispatch otherwise they could have told him what street I was waiting on. Actually, now that I think about it, he might have called in, and the dispatcher was as helpful as she was for me. I'm sure she wouldn't have helped at all. Yes, I know, I need to let the bitterness go.
Well, I love Miriam's bus drivers now. I've worn down the morning driver and she now SMILES in the morning. How's that for progress? I have always loved the afternoon driver. He kept my baby on the bus and kept looking for me until she was safe in my arms. He could have just dropped her off anywhere, but he didn't. I will always be grateful for that. Now I know that he IS the type of person you'd want to meet in an alley. He'd be the one to help you. You want to know something cool? He's my relative! I don't think he knows that, but my mom informed me that he is a distant cousin of my grandma's. What fun!
Miriam all dressed and ready to go:
Look at all the snow!

9 comments:
Wow! That sounds like a harrowing experience! I'm so glad that Miriam is safe and sound now, and that you made friends with the bus drivers. That's great that you found a friend from the Radio Reading Service. It's been so many years, but I still remember working there very clearly.
Wow.. that would be so hard for me to handle. I dread the day I have to put my baby on a bus. You are both very brave.
How cool that you iknow her teacher! YOu know you're in Rexburg when....
:)
What a scary bus experience. You handled it well--I would have been a total wreck! I am glad things have worked out there getting her to school. NICE! :) She is simply adorable. Every time I see her she gets more and more beautiful!
She looks so cute! You always dress them so nice! Whenever you go shopping, I should have you pick up 2 of everything you get them, so I don't have to worry about it.
I would have been scared to death if the bus never brought my kid home! Just yesterday at the park Jaz ran behind a car that was backing up and I yanked her out of the way. It was really scary. Then the lady got out of her car and gave me parenting tips. Sorry that was off the subject a little.
I bet that was scary. I'm glad everything turned out well.
I got teary eyed reading about the story. We miss you guys.
Scary! I would have been a mess! But sounds like you handled it well! Mariam looks so cute! What a beautiful girl!
It was so fun to see Doug at church on sunday! Although it made me miss you even more!
Miriam looks so cute! I'm glad that whole bus incident didn't scar her from ever getting on a bus again!
What a crazy bus story! I'm so glad the bus driver found you! And I know I would have reacted just as you did! But I'm glad everything is figured out now. Both of your girls look darling all dressed up for school! I can't beleive they're both in school!
Post a Comment