Anyway, on to better and more fun topics. We had a wonderful Christmas with family. My brother Hyrum arrived home from his mission to Bulgaria on the 18th of December. I took Miriam out of school early and so we were all there at the airport to see him. My mom and I went to Idaho Falls earlier in the day so we could run some errands and so I could tell Doug's grandmother goodbye from the two of us. Funny side note: Miriam was a little late getting to the airport with my dad and Kirill, so when Hyrum saw Shaylynn he picked her up, gave her a hug, and said, "Miriam, you're getting so big!" It was pretty funny. To his defense, he didn't have Miriam there to compare the two before deciding who was who.
It was a day of very mixed emotions. I was sad because Doug's grandmother was passing away and he couldn't be there in person, but I was also so excited to see my baby brother (biologically speaking that is). I was able to hold the phone to Luella's ear while Doug told her goodbye and said how much he loved her. I lasted about a second and then broke down so Larry (Doug's dad) had to hold the phone the rest of the time. The funeral was held on Christmas Eve. Another day of sadness and joy (Doug arrived a few hours after the funeral was over). Death is never any fun to experience, but it is so wonderful to KNOW there is life after this, and that our new life is even better than this one. This is the second funeral I've attended as a representative of Doug. His grandfather passed away right before he left to interview in Chicago for Optometry school. This time it was his grandmother and he was living in Omaha. At least his grandparents are together again.
Doug's grandmother was buried Christmas Eve. After the funeral the girls and I spent the afternoon at my house with my family. Daniel flew home from Texas to spend a couple weeks with us. My girls ADORE their uncles! All of them are so willing to run around the house chasing them, catching them and tickling them, and then starting the process all over again. We spruced up and then drove the short 30 minutes to Idaho Falls to pick up Doug. After the FANTASTIC reunion at the airport we went to Melina's house for a Christmas Eve party. There was yummy food, GREAT company, and lots of laughs. It was then home so Santa could come before it got too late.
Waiting at the Airport
Idaho Falls Airport
Seeing Daddy
Modeling their new pajamas
The girls slept in until 9:00 a.m. and then we opened presents. Well, Doug and the girls opened presents. When you're the one in charge of Christmas giving it's easy to forget yourself. :) Oh well, maybe next year. After opening presents here we hurried to Menan to do a gift exchange with Doug's family. We had fun seeing everyone again. We played a few games and then came back to Rexburg to open gifts with my family. It was a fun day, but we were glad to finally get home.
Opening Presents at Home
Shay clung to Doug the whole time he was home.
My nephew Jake being weird

3 comments:
Great pictures! The airport clips reminded me of when we were waiting at the same airport for Doug to get home from his mission. Strange how fast those years went. Now he has an adorable family of his own.
Wonder how many binkies Jake could get in his mouth if he really tried?
Mallena you are so positive!!! You make hard seem easy! I bet Doug adores that about you! I am sure you enjoyed every second you ALL were together.
i loved the video clips and all the cute pictures! i'm sorry you're having a hard time, you're handling it so much better than i ever could! Just think though, it's almost over, hang in there!
Post a Comment