2010 started out with us being together for a brief few days before Doug headed back to Omaha to finish his last two rotations before graduation. Even though it was painful to have him gone, we did so well without him. I know that sounds bad, but it was such a blessing. Yes, there were many tears and many phone calls, but we did it! When I say we, I mean, Doug, Miriam, Shaylynn, me, and the Lord. It was a group effort with the Lord carrying us all.
In May, my wonderful brother-in-law and sister-in-law stayed with Miriam and Shay so I could travel to Doug's graduation. It was my first time flying by myself and I was blessed with a brother who helped me check in and the get to the correct security line in Salt Lake City. He didn't leave until I was in the right place. He may never know how special that made me feel (I did feel a little foolish for needing the help, but I'm glad I didn't have to ask--he just did it because he's fabulous).
Doug's graduation was FANTASTIC and we had so much fun visiting with his classmates and traveling with his family. Doug's parents, his sister Melina, and her husband Shane were able to join us. We had so much fun seeing historical places on our way home. Unfortunately we never did stay in a hotel with a pool (at least one that worked) until we split in Nauvoo and went our different directions. I blame Shane because as soon as we split Doug and I found plenty of working hotel pools.
June brought travels to find a job for Doug. Doug had an interview with Costco in Astoria, OR and also happened to find an opening in Yakima, WA. His phone interview with the Yakima location was done in a laundromat so we figured maybe that job would be a long shot. We asked if we could swing by Yakima on our way to Astoria. Once we arrived in Yakima and met the doctor here, we were hooked. It felt like home. Doug felt like he had the job, but didn't get the official offer until a week or two later. The interview in Astoria did not go as well and we did NOT like the living situation we would have. Doug also did not like the working conditions. We prayed so hard that something would come available closer to home, but when the offer came from Yakima, we grabbed it.
Washington
Oregon
We loaded up and moved out on July 8th. It was a painful move. I knew we would not be moving back at sometime in the near future. I knew it was too far to drive home every month for quick visits. Our families had been my support system for the year Doug was gone. I was used to having them right there when I needed them. How was I going to start all over again making friends?
September was exciting because we found out a new baby would be coming to our family. It had been so long it felt like having my first baby all over again. I was sick, sick, sick, but I was so happy. The week before Halloween I miscarried. It was difficult, but I'm in a happy place now. All four of us are excited for what our future holds as far as family members. For the present we just hold tight to each other and enjoy the special family we have now.
In November we traveled home to be with family for Thanksgiving. Doug was able to take a full week off from work. We had HORRIBLE driving conditions going and coming. From now on, we'll do our traveling during the summer months. We had so much fun seeing family. My brother from Texas was able to come during coordinating days. It was fun to be together. It was nice being so close to Doug's family. We went to Harry Potter, had a game night, and a small party for Shaylynn's birthday. There never seems enough time to see everyone, and it didn't help that the roads were so bad we didn't dare travel very much.
Christmas was very low key, but extra fun. It was nice not having somewhere to go and a time frame to stick to. We played games, took naps, opened gifts, and talked of the Savior and the blessing of His birth.
I can officially say I look back on 2010 as a good year. It was a strengthening year. It wasn't perfect, I wasn't perfect, but that's why the gospel is so important. We can fix the things that aren't perfect and look forward to doing better.
Hopefully 2011 is a FANTASTIC year for all of you. May you be blessed and feel the love of your Heavenly Father as much as we do.
Love,
Doug, Mallena, Miriam, Shaylynn

8 comments:
Okay--HELLO TO YOUR PRE-TEEN IN THE BOTTOM PICTURE! I can see it now-- :) SO CRAZY how big she is getting. Even Brandon commented that--and you know if a guy notices it, it's a big deal! :)
Am so happy for you guys and the way you've faced all the things that have happened this year. You are truly an incredible inspiration--and I hope you know I look up to you so much!
I always love reading your posts! They always make mine seem so lame. You did have a BIG year! Where is a picture of you though? You are the one who holds the whole family together. (Don't tell Doug I said that. He just pays the bills. Ok, I'm teasing a little.) Happy New Year!
I agree with Melina. You have very insightful blogs & I look forward to reading them. I am so grateful we were able to share in some of those major events of 2010! But where is a picture of you?
I love reading your blog posts! You always remind me of the things that are really important in life. Happy 2011!
Hey, this is Doug's cousin Natalie, and I kind of snoop on your blog every now and then. I have to comment because I love this post. For some reason it really moved me. Maybe because of all the blessings you recognized and all the times you relied on our Savior. I'm so glad Doug married such a cool girl. Tell him I remember that tomorrow is his birthday and I hope it's a good one!
This was such a great post, Mallena. Thank you for sharing your year in review. I loved reading the small details, and then reading about the big picture lessons that came as a result. What a beautiful year you had!
ps---I might just copy this idea for my blog, if I can find 2 minutes in a row to sit at the computer! Thanks for the inspiration!
What an eventful year! You are such an amazing family! Best wishes for a very bright and happy new year!
I read your blog more often than I comment. Just want you to know I have been thinking of you (you STILL pop up in my dreams now and then!) Must be a good thing! Thanks for your inspiring words. My blog usually consists of photos and a few words here and there. Keep it up!
Post a Comment