Monday, July 14, 2008

4th of July

We had a really low-key, yet fun-filled 4th. You'd think living in Philadelphia, the birthplace of it all, that we'd have done something really great and patriotic. Nope. All of us had issues with fun stomach bug the week before and since I was the last one to get better (July 3), nothing got planned. Thanks to Molen's, we had a fun BBQ with friends and then ended the night with sparklers. That's it, we didn't watch any fireworks (not even on television). We put the girls to bed and then Doug and I called it a night with a movie. It sounds kind of depressing, but we actually really had a nice day. It was one of the best 4th of July's I've ever had. I think part of that was because I was sooooooo grateful to be feeling better after being sick for a week. I was also 7 pounds lighter---that's always a nice way to celebrate a holiday!

The 4th of July outfits. Yeehaw!


My firecracker! Why is it that your husband is always at his hottest when he's doing things with your kids?


We did make it outside to take pictures and blow bubbles.

Shay refused to come home after blowing bubbles so Miriam went back to get her. She didn't like that Dad shut the door and left her in the hallway.


I wanted some fun candid shots of Miriam playing in the bushes. These show my lack of picture taking talents.

Nice mustache Miriam!

To this day I still don't like to hold sparklers. I'm not sure why, but I think my kids take after me. At least the other kids at the BBQ enjoyed them.

Miriam is bawling in this picture. She was trying to be brave, but she just couldn't stand it!

10 comments:

Elaine said...

Looks so fun. I'm sad we missed it. Miriam is so funny. :-)

dan and linds said...

I'm so glad you were feeling better for the 4th! It was a fun BBQ! You sure got some cute pictures! Next time I'm handing my camera to you :)

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

How fun! I remember blowing bubbles and holding sparklers with you on the 4th of July when we were kids (and then Grandma would feed us ice cream from her tupperware ice-cream container). Oh, yes, and the Rexburg 4th of July parade was always a hoot (and way bigger and better than Glenns Ferry's parade). :) It was weird to be in a place where nobody celebrated on the 4th! The first time I have felt homesick since we arrived.

emily a. said...

I was actually thinking the opposite about your pictures- i love the shots with the bubbles. You got some great ones!

Mary Ann and Larry said...

Pure Joy!! That's how Miriam & Shay look. I love the bubble shots. Remember when Miriam would try eating them when she was little?

Rebecca Hansen said...

i think you've got a hidden photographer lurking deep inside because you take some amazing pictures! i especially like the one with shay behind the two bubbles ; )

Patty Sampson said...

Oh! How adorable! You have the cutest girls. I am so glad you posted pics of them. And way to go following them on their adventures. You are great at creating memories for them. They will love that when they get older.

DevinKaty said...

I tkink Husbands are cute with kids because farts are funny again

Carleen said...

I love the bubbles pics. what fun you guys had. Next year miriam will be more brave. :)

Shilowe said...

Oh, Mallena (and Doug), I just adore your girls! Everytime I see them I just daydream about having daughters. -Sigh-