Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Basketball Injury

On September 3, Doug managed to injure himself while playing basketball with the other "boys" at the church. I knew as soon as the door opened that something was wrong. He came directly into the bedroom with his garbage bag full of ice. My innards sunk and my mind starting racing a million miles a minute. We decided to wait to go to the E.R. until the next day. Doug was trying to be optimistic and thought maybe it would be something that he could just "walk off". Well, here we are three weeks later and there hasn't been any change.

We went to the E.R. the following afternoon. Thanks to a neighbor's knee brace Doug had been able to go to class in the morning. A friend watcher the girls because we were afraid we were going to be at the hospital forever. We were pleasantly surprised with the short amount of time we had to wait. Granted, by the time we were done we'd been gone for a couple of hours, but much better than the five or six hours we thought it would take.

The only thing we learned from the visit was that it wasn't broken (x-ray's proved that), which Doug had already figured out. They gave him crutches and an immobilizer to wear until he could get in and see his primary care doctor.

Last week we went to our primary care physician and he gave the order to get an MRI. We went to another hospital and had the MRI done. We got the results a few days ago. It wasn't good. I don't really understand it all, but he has at least one tear in the ACL and a possible tear somewhere else.

We went to a specialist today and he said he wants to wait another three weeks until we decide on if Doug needs surgery. It sounds like it's something he'll have to have done, but they usually wait six weeks after the injury to make sure there isn't any more swelling. In the meantime Doug is supposed to start walking without a brace and to try and wean himself off the crutches. The doctor also wants him to work out on a bicycle machine. Thankfully there's one at the school Doug can use.

So, after hoping for three weeks that we would finally know the outcome of Doug's injury, we are still waiting to know the end result. Hopefully in another three weeks we'll have the final diagnosis and we can move forward.

Here are some pictures I was able to get of Mr. Gimpy. I thought I had some others but I found out Doug deleted them. I think I'll try to make him recreate them because someday he'll be able to look back at this time and laugh at himself.

At the E.R.
I wanted to get a picture of him in the wheelchair while I was pushing him, but he absolutely refused. I'm sure it looked really funny, a man sitting in the wheelchair while his weak wife pushed. I'm laughing just remembering how we must have looked. Notice his face in the picture, he did NOT like me taking the picture. Don't worry, the room was empty when I pulled out my camera. I wouldn't have been brave enough to do it otherwise.

Immobilized
I had to snap these in a hurry because he didn't want me to take them, but I thought it looked HILARIOUS!!! I love the immobilizer over the pants! Now just picture him with crutches and you've got the whole picture.

12 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I am having a silent laugh at the mobilizer over the pants...

Definitely some blackmail should you ever need...

Elaine said...

Poor Funny Dougy...:-)

Kevin, Kelsey and Annalise.... said...

Nothing good can ever come of church basketball!!! Poor Doug, I hope the surgery wont be too serious :(

emily a. said...

Poor poor gimpy.

Natalie Buchkovich said...

I hate to laugh becuase I know what a knee injury feels like! But I can totally picture you and Doug at the ER. So funny! I hope he get feeling better soon! You know what would be awesome if we could get all of our gimpy "boys" together and get a picture with their braces and crutches. Just maybe they would decide not to play anymore!

dan and linds said...

Poor Mr. Gimpy! I am laughing, but feeling bad about laughing at the same time :) I'm so sorry this happened and that it's so serious and taking such a long time to get resolved. I really need to get over to see you, it's been too long! Dan recently "grounded" me because he says I've been too busy and neglecting the house (and his dinner :) But I've gotten things (mostly) under control, so hopefully I can come hang out again soon!

Mary Ann and Larry said...

Poor Doug! It looks like he is wearing a girdle for legs. It is amazing all the injuries that come from church basketball.

Shilowe said...

Poor Doug. I hope the results are all good news! I admire your sense of humor during the whole ordeal. Best of luck!

Rebecca Hansen said...

he looks like a pirate with a wooden leg!! He and Jeremy ought to get together for church ball, sounds like they'd manage to break and twist all sorts of things. i dread every morning jeremy goes to play church ball because he always comes home with injuries which lead to expensive doctor bills. I hope his leg starts healing and feels better soon, who knows, he may not have to have surgery after all! *hopefully!* I'll keep him in my prayers.

Patty Sampson said...

Oh, Poor Doug! I have to tell you that those boys playing ball has been the source of more injuries than any professional team I have ever seen. First John Peterson, now Doug. And I will never forget how Eric herniated 2 discs playing ball a few years ago. I still get nervous when he goes to play with them.

I pray that Doug recovers quickly. Poor guy! Oh, and good job getting pics of it all!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully things will get better real soon! I know how it must be to already be tight with money and have something like this happen! I hurt my back real bad on Monday and had to rush in to the doctor. I have had to go in everyday this week so far and get x-rays, adjustments and massages. They wanted to start physical therapy tomorrow, but I ran out of money, so I'll just have to take it easy. To get to the point...Doug and I will both be moving at a slow pace when we come to visit, but I'm afraid Doug is way worse than I am. Good Luck. See ya soon!

Jenny and Travis said...

Thanks for your sweet comment, and for your suggestions. I'll keep your advice about the snack foods in mind. =) We are going to Targhee Medical Specialists. Where does you mom work? --Jenny